WHEN TO APPLY – LABOR DAY
This is the RECOVERY/REPAIR step! The MOST IMPORTANT step!
Some additional things that can be done at this time
- Ok, judgment time. How’s the grass looking? Good? If it looks good throw down your milorganite and call it good. Looking like it could use some help? Then it’s time to overseed! Have the lawn aerated, throw down grass seed (by spreader or by hand), throw down the starter fertilizer, then the milorganite. This will introduce new seeds to the lawn, will fill in thin spots, crowd out weeds and older grass strains and make your lawn stronger than ever next season!
- If you are overseeding, consider scheduling another mechanical aeration just before.
- Thatch layer thick? Power rake the yard as well.
- All of this should be done the same day, aeration/power raking can be done a few days before.
- Decided against overseeding? If you have bad weed issues, consider throwing down another application of pre-emergent.